Download Bert Weckhuysen's detailed Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Since October 2000, Bert Weckhuysen (49) is full professor Inorganic Chemistry and Catalysis at Utrecht University. He has been appointed as the first Distinguished Professor of the Faculty of Science at Utrecht University as of September 2012. From January 2018 he has been promoted to the rank of Distinguished University Professor at Utrecht University.
- Appointed Distinguished University Professor at Utrecht University as of January 2018.
- Recipient of several scientific awards, including the 2013 Spinoza Award, the highest scientific honor in the Netherlands; and Knight in the Order of the Dutch Lion (2015).
- Visiting professor at Stanford University (2012 - to date), University College London (September 2014 - to date) and Leuven University (2000 - 2005).
- Elected member of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences, European Academy of Science and Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Science and Arts.
- Appointed full professor inorganic chemistry and catalysis at Utrecht University in 2000.
- Obtained his PhD from Leuven University with honors (highest degree) in 1995, under supervision of Prof. Robert Schoonheydt.
- Obtained his master degree in chemical and agricultural engineering with greatest distinction from Leuven University (Belgium) in 1991.
- Scientific director ARC-CBBC, Advanced Research Center Chemical Building Blocks Consortium, since 2016, of which he has been one of the main initiators.
- Scientific director of MCEC, the Netherlands Center for Multiscale Catalytic Energy Conversion, since 2014, of which he has been one of the main initiators.
- Scientific director of the Smartmix research program CATCHBIO on Biomass Catalysis funded by the Dutch government and chemical industries, 2006-2016, of which he has been one of the initiators.
- Scientific director of the Dutch Research School for Catalysis (NIOK), 2003-2013.
- Serves/served on the editoral and/or advisory board of
Applied Catalysis A: General | Catalysis Letters | Catalysis Today | Chem | Chemical Society Reviews | Angewandte Chemie | ChemCatChem | ChemPhysChem | Faraday Discussions | Journal of Applied Chemistry | Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology | PCCP | Topics in Catalysis | Vibrational Spectroscopy.
- Several elected memberships to national and international academia.
Managerial and scientific committees
- 'Chief Science Officer' of Topteam of the Topsector Chemistry, since 2014 (before member Topteam Chemie, 2011-2014).
- Expert in panels for Ministry of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Education, Culture and Science and NWO (Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research).
- Titular Member of the Physical and Biophysical Chemistry Division of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC).
- Appointed as member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Energy Conversion (Germany), Cardiff Catalysis Institute (UK), Dalian Institute for Chemical Physics (China) and the Center for Catalysis and Surface Science of Northwestern University (USA).
- Authored or co-authored ~ 475 publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Around 22.000 citations, with an average number of citations per paper of ~41.
- Hirsch index 76.
- 21 conference proceeding publications
- 10 patents/patent applications on his name.
- (Co-)edited 3 books and authored 27 book chapters.
- 49 PhD students obtained their PhD degree at Utrecht University under his supervision.
- Obtained prestigious grants:
VICI-CW NWO (2002) | TOP CW NWO (2006 and 2011) | Advanced ERC grant (2012) | Gravitation grant (2013)
An overview of additional functions can be found at the profile page of Bert Weckhuysen at the UU-website (Dutch).