Awards and Scientific Honors
- The 2018 Robert B. Anderson Award. Organization: Canadian Catalysis Foundation.
- The 2017 Kozo Tanabe Prize for Acid-Base Catalysis. Organization: International Acid-Base Catalysis Group.
- The 2013 Spinoza Award. Organization: Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO).
- The 2013 John Bourke Award. Organization: Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC).
- The 2012 International Catalysis Award. Organization: International Association of Catalysis Societies (IACS).
- The 2011 Paul H. Emmett Award in Fundamental Catalysis. Organization: North American Catalysis Society (NACS).
- The 2009 Netherlands Catalysis and Chemistry Award. Organization: The Organization of Dutch Catalysis Industries (VIRAN) and the Catalysis Section of the Royal Dutch Chemical Society (KNCV).
- The 2009 CATSA Eminent Visitor Award. Organization: The Catalysis Society of South Africa (CATSA).
- The 2007 DECHEMA Award. Organization: The Max Buchner Research Foundation of the German Organization of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology.
- The 2006 KNCV Gold Medal. Organization: Royal Dutch Chemical Society (KNCV).
- The 2017 Xing Da Lectureship. Organization: Peking University.
- The 2013 Vladimir N. Ipatieff Lectureship. Organization: Northwestern University.
- Knight in the Order of the Dutch Lion (2015).
- Member of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences (KNAW, 2011-onwards).
- Member of the European Academy of Science (Academia Europea, 2010-onwards).
- Member of the Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Science and the Arts (KVAB, 2015-onwards).
- Member of the Netherlands Academy of Technology and Innovation (AcTI, 2009-onwards).
- Member of the Royal Holland Society of Sciences (KHMW, 2010-onwards).
- Alumnus member of the Young Academy (DJA) of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences (2005-2010).
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC, 2007-onwards).
- Fellow of the American Association for Advancement of Science (AAAS, 2015-onwards).
- Fellow of ChemPubSoc Europe (2015-onwards).
Prestigious Research Grants
- Gravitation grant (2013) for MCEC. Funding Agency: Netherlands Organization of Scientific Research.
- Advanced ERC Grant (2012). Funding Agency: European Research Council.
- Top Research grant (2011). Funding Agency: Netherlands Organization of Scientific Research.
- Top Research grant (2006). Funding Agency: Netherlands Organization of Scientific Research.
- VICI Grant (2002). Funding Agency: Netherlands Organization of Scientific Research.
Other Scientific Prizes
- The 2004 EFCATS School Lecturer Award. Organisation: The European Federation of Catalysis Societies (EFCATS).
- The 1998 KULeuven Research Council Award. Organization: Research Council of Leuven University.
- The 1994 Exxon-VJC Lecture Award. Organisation: Royal Flemisch Chemical Society (KVCV).
- The 1991 Water Research Award. Organization: vzw Water, Energie en Leefmilieu (WEL).